Wednesday, October 23, 2013

First Couple Weeks in Korea

We have managed to stay busy and are in needed of a few days of staying in! One evening, prior to grocery shopping, we decided to order pizza from Pizza Hut that is down the street from us. Ramon called and of course he couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand him. He decided to drive there and try to order in person. On his way to the parking garage, Pizza hut called back with an English speaking person and he tried to explain where we are located. They said they would try to find us and call back. On his way there, they called back again and said they would deliver to us in 20 minutes, so he placed the order and came back home. Less than 20 minutes later we had pizza at the door. It tasted the same as what we are used to, we have yet to order from them again. We just really want to learn some of the language to be able to communicate a lot better!  
 Last weekend we drove to Suseong Lake, which is more like a pond, but a nice area that has a walking path and restaurants. I wanted to try Korean food so we found one that appeared to be "English" friendly. I use great skill in determining what restaurant to pick... if their restaurant name is in English, then it must be catered toward us. (This is not always the case as I later learn). Most of the food did have a brief English description, like "curry chicken". We ordered like we would at a restaurant... appetizer, and two dishes, well Koreans share their meals and the waiter came back and in his best English, told us "too much food". I cancelled my order which was chicken curry and kept the other two, which he informed us was "hot", but Ramon in his expertise told me that everything is hot, but it's not really that hot. I know now if anything is in a red sauce, it's going to be spicy. Ramon was sweating by the end and I couldn't even eat half.

I would say this is one of the nicer restaurants we have seen. Most are a lot smaller and not that clean looking.

Some kind of cheese appetizer and spicy chicken entrée. The bad thing is we don't really know what everything is, so I'm very careful to make sure what I do eat is something familiar.



Lilly trying a type of egg roll... or so I think!
 After the meal, our bill reflected 3 items and to our surprise they brought out the chicken curry I originally ordered in a to-go box, which I ate for dinner and was actually very good. Since then, we have learned to "share" our meals, even though Ramon has confessed he is already tired of Korean food. (Oh boy.. we have a long time here to be saying that already!)

After the unsatisfying meal we walked to a coffee shop, which is a chain, called A Twosome Place. They have great deserts and beverages and enjoyed sitting outside.

 
 We took a walk around the lake, which during the week was not busy. It was nice to get away from the traffic and noise for a little while.


Paddle ducks you can rent to go on the lake.


 

 
 Wednesday we took our first trip on the subway. The camps where we are located do not have any hospital facilities, in fact any type of emergency, we have to go to a local hospital. We are able to choose which hospital to be seen for the pregnancy and scheduled two tours of different women's hospital. We walked from our apartment to the subway station, which is about a mile, and boarded the subway for about a 20 minute ride to the first hospital. Ramon wore the Ergo, which is unique because the men here are not seen "carrying" their children in this way, so he received a few strange looks.


We didn't take any pictures of the hospitals, but both are very nice and have international liaison that is on call 24hrs a day and is able to come in to help translate for Americans. Each hospital makes you take off your shoes and put on slippers to go into the delivery floor and recovery floor. They have been working with the military for years, so they are very aware of what Americans are looking for in their birth experience and care. We were able to see the nursery where we learned that Korean mothers typically do not want the baby in their room, that they prefer to rest and have the baby in the nursery. I made sure it was an option to have the baby in my room the whole time, which they said no problem. The hospital we chose has a retired doctor that we met who actually spent 11 years practicing in Wisconsin. He returned to Korea a few years ago and helps out at the hospital occasionally.

The rest of the week, I had to attend a newcomers brief, we had to grocery shop and get registered on post. We also have been looking at vehicles, since it would be nice for me to have one when Ramon is working all day (if I decide to drive) and to be able to get around town more easily than the truck. I think we found one and should be able to have it by next week.

Ramon had to go back to work this Monday and we both started our college classes this week. I have been keeping busy trying to get the house more organized and keeping Lilly busy. I try to get her outside daily to play on the small playground and get fresh air.

There are a few random riding toys around the area she like to "drive". A first in a long time... she left her pigtails in for most of the day!

 
 

Tuesday Ramon had an orthodontist appointment in Seoul, which is a two hour train ride. We decided to go with him. It was a very long day as we walked to the subway around 9 a.m. got on the subway, walked to the train station and boarded the train by 10:15. I wore the ergo this time and was once again surprised by human nature/culture. As I immediately entered the subway (which are very packed and usually standing room only), an older woman stood up and insisted I take her seat. This happened on the way there and back ( the second time a younger gentleman). In my brief, they said don't be offended if you offer up your seat to a Korean and they don't take it, because to them they only do that if they know you. They really value children here and apparently their mothers too. I still feel awkward accepting the kindness, because I think in the states we are viewed more as independent and able to handle it all. The train ride went really quick and was comfortable. We arrived in Seoul, took a cab to the Camp and had lunch at the lodge they have there. We enjoyed a Mexican buffet! We headed back to our area around 4:30 repeating the same sequence. We stopped at a fast food restaurant called Lotteria which is similar to McDonalds. It wasn't too bad tasting.
That is our week up to this point. We have trick or treating on Saturday at the Camp and may try to head downtown to all the local shopping on Sunday.

Before boarding the train.


Lilly enjoying a snack from the bakery we purchased along the way. Some kind of blueberry muffin/scone type thing that was delicious and only $2.00 or $2,500 Won.

No comments:

Post a Comment